Wednesday, July 9, 2014

So much sickness

It's that time or year.

Or is it?

I don't know. I don't care. All I know is that my poor baby has been sick for what feels like months.

In reality, it's only been weeks -- but that is still an absurd timeframe.

I mentioned in a past post how Ava had been sick. I was praying it wouldn't last, but it did and, long story short, we ended up taking her to the doctor to see what was wrong.

Turns out, little girl had a double ear infection. Ouch.



We were given amoxicillin and sent on our way. 

But...

After just two days on the meds, Ava developed what looked like an allergic reaction.



Dave is allergic to penicillin, as is my father, so we brought her back into the pediatrician's immediately and met with a nurse practitioner who advised us to stop the meds. She checked Ava's ears and said they already seemed better. We had a follow-up appointment already scheduled in about 10 days, so the NP said to wait it out and see if the ear infection cleared up on its own.

So we did.

Ava showed no signs of discomfort except for a lingering cough, relentlessly runny nose and, of course, the standard teething issues. Then, we went back in for our follow-up appointment and learned that her double ear infection was WORSE.

Terrible parent alert!



Now she's on a different antibiotic, which I hope does the job. (Little nutjob is even starting to fake-cough, maybe because she thinks she's just supposed to do that all the time now.) I'm just really looking forward to having a well baby for our next well-baby visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment