Thursday, January 23, 2014

The nanny

Ava's nanny is a nice Ukrainian girl who lives in my neighborhood. She adores my kid, which I love, but she's also a rule-follower, which I'm not. Call me crazy, but I don't think you can force a five-month-old to take a nap just because it's 2pm. At least, not my sassy five-month-old.

Anyway, the nanny is fine, but I'm not head-over-heels for her. That might have something to do with some of the stuff she says to me -- none of it malicious, just... hilariously brash.

I know it's because she's Eastern European and there's a bit of a language barrier, so I take it with a grain of salt. Here are just a few of the things she tells me:

Before she realized that Ava won't nap for two straight hours (she's a 45-minute kid):
"She was terrible today. No sleep."
YOU'RE TERRIBLE TODAY. Oh, sorry. Carry on.

When Ava had a diaper explosion.
"She pooped so bad! Everything was in poop!"

When Rocco got obsessive about his toy and refused to give it back to her:
"Rocco has orange ball and keeps it like treasure."

When I bought a new rug, but didn't have the rug pad yet.
"This rug, terrible idea. It slides all over."
YOU'RE A TERRIBLE IDEA. Oops, did it again. My bad.

We're still working out some kinks in this caregiver relationship, so I just hope we find our groove. Or else maybe this was a terrible idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment